‘Code Red’ Activated At Wood River High School
Hailey, Idaho ( KMVT-TV / KSVT-TV ) – The Wood River High School in Hailey briefly went into a “Code Red” mode this Monday morning. School district spokeswoman Heather Crocker said the code was activated by a phone in one of the classrooms just after 12 noon. It’s not known if the activation was an accident or intentional but it was determined that it was a false alarm. Crocker said both Police and Fire responded very quickly and the authorities returned the school to normal operation very quickly.
According to the Districts website, a code red means “Stop” Imminent Danger! Lock Down. Take Cover Immediately. The code warning would have been announced over the building’s PA system. According to the district, all school buildings have anti-intrusion locks which mean that a room can be locked from the inside so that an intruder in the hallway cannot enter.
The following is from the district site concerning what actions should be taken when a code red announcement is made.
- If you are outside, DO NOT ENTER building.
- If you are already in the building, move into the nearest room.
- Guide students/staff quickly into the nearest classroom.
- Lock your classroom from the inside (use anti-intrusion key if available).
- Turn lights off and mobile phones to vibrate; close windows and blinds.
- Hide. Be as invisible as possible. Be silent. Stay calm.
- If hazardous materials/fumes are present, turn off ventilation system(s) and place wet paper towel over nose and mouth.
- Take roll and report extra and missing students/staff.
- Students and staff remain in place until further action is announced.
By Paul Johnson
Story Created: Mar 31, 2014 at 1:37 PM MDT