Deadly Mixture Caused Burley Explosion
BURLEY, Idaho (AP) — Fire officials suspect a dangerous mixture of cleaning solvent, dirty rags and high explosives likely led to an explosion that sent the wife of a southern Idaho legislator to the hospital with second-degree burns. Amy Wood is listed in good condition Tuesday at the University of Utah's Burn and Trauma Center. She is the wife of Republican state Rep. Fred Wood of Burley. She was injured Saturday evening in an explosion inside her husband's underground gun safe room. Burley Fire Department Chief Keith Martin says cleaning solvent and dirty rags could have produced spontaneous combustion and touched off other explosive materials. Fred Wood told KTVB-TV he checked the door to the room on Saturday and discovered something was amiss. He didn't open it, and moments later, the explosion occurred, injuring his wife.