Dietrich Boy Dies From “Choking Game”
(AP) - Officials in south-
central Idaho say a 10-year-old boy has died after playing the "choking game." Lincoln County officials say Austin Rasmussen of Dietrich died late Saturday afternoon from self-inflicted strangulation after playing a choking game alone at his house. Deputy Coroner Mike Bright tells the Idaho Mountain Express that emergency medical personnel worked on Austin for about 45 minutes before he was pronounced dead shortly before 6 p.m. So-called choking games, sometimes called fainting games, involve intentionally shutting off the supply of oxygen to the brain with the goal of producing a temporary euphoria. Bright says Rasmussen apparently heard about the choking game from older students at Dietrich school.