10 Things That Have Gotten Worse Over the Last Decade
Hard to believe we are already in a new year. Happy 2020! We would really like to think that the first decade of the 2000s brought vast improvements to our world, but sadly, that is not always the case. USA Today and 24/7 Tempo found 21 things that have progressively gotten worse over the last ten years, and I have listed to the top 10 below. C'mon, y'all, we can do so much better. Here's to a happy and healthy start to a new decade.
- Social Media Addiction. Sources say at least 10% of Americans (that's about 32.4 million people) can't put their phones down. Ever.
- Opioid Epidemic. Since 2017, about 70,000 Americans have died from overdoses. It's the leading cause of injury-related deaths in the USA
- Student loan debt. A whopping $1.4 trillion in student loan debt has been reported, and that is just in the first quarter of 2019. That's a 116% increase in just 10 years.
- Air pollution. A study from the University of Chicago says air pollution is the 'world's top killer'
- Work culture. Burnout is real, y'all
- Traffic. Yes, we spend an average of 54 hours a year sitting in traffic
- Obesity rates. We are definitely getting fatter.
- Life expectancy. Causes that contribute to this decline include drug overdoses and suicide.
- Income inequality. We are experiencing the biggest gap between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' in more than 50 years.
- Box office revenue. We're just not going out to the movie theater-like we used to.