JEROME, Idaho – Starting today, residents in four Magic Valley counties will be able to dial 311 from their cellphones to contact the Southern Regional Communications Center for non-emergency services.

The counties include Gooding, Jerome, Lincoln and Twin Falls. The service will work only with a cellular device, according to SIRCOMM.

In 1996, the Federal Communications Commission dedicated the telephone number “311” for use by governmental agencies. Currently hundreds of cities across the United States use 311 as the primary number that all citizens dial to call local governmental agencies for non-emergency questions, concerns or to request a Law Enforcement agency for assistance.

The city of Twin Falls has used the 311 service for years. If you dial 311 inside city limits, you will reach the Twin Falls City Communications Center. The new service number is for those in the counties’ jurisdiction.

For emergency services, no matter where you may be, SIRCOMM Director John Moore says it is important to still call 911.

More From News Radio 1310 KLIX