TWIN FALLS, Idaho (KLIX) Southern Idaho health officials say a small reservoir in Camas County has developed a toxic algae that could pose a threat to people and animals. On Friday, the South Central Public Health District and the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality announced lab tests of the water in Mormon Reservoir had come back positive for a Cyanobacteria bloom, also known as blue-green algae.

The bloom was first reported on June 14th. The health organization says people, specifically dogs, should avoid contact with the water at this time. If a pet swims in the blue-green algae water, owners should wash them with clean water and not allow the pet to clean or lick themselves.

Toxins from the algae can transfer to the organs, skin, and fat of fish as well and people should only eat the fillet portion if they choose to do so. SCPHD says it is not known what the risk is of eating fish caught from blue-green algae waters. This is not the first time Mormon Reservoir has seen toxic algae develop; last year the health district reported a blue-green algae and cautioned the public.

More From News Radio 1310 KLIX