Twin Falls Man Dies after Smoking While on Oxygen
TWIN FALLS, Idaho (KMVT/KSVT) - The person who died as the result of an oxygen-fueled fire at the Fawnbrook Apartments in Twin Falls has been identified.
Herbert T. Campbell, 69, died while smoking. Twin Falls Coroner Gene Turley said Campbell was wearing tubes connected to oxygen equipment when he lit a match. The fire severely burned his head and face and lit his shirt on fire.
The victim who was confined to a wheelchair, died from what the coroner described as “flame inhalation". It appears the man moved around the apartment leaving burn marks in several areas. It’s believed the man died between 6:30 p.m. Sunday and 5:30 a.m. Monday morning.
Authorities have not been able to find any of Campbell’s relatives in this area and continue to search throughout the country. The body was discovered by a neighbor who noticed his front door ajar Monday around noon. When the neighbor looked in, she discovered the victim next to the door. On Monday, police confirm there was fire in the apartment but damage was minimal.