ISP Releases ‘Crime in Idaho’ Report for 2016
BOISE, Idaho (News Release) – The Idaho State Police Bureau of Criminal Identification today released its annual Crime in Idaho report for 2016.
The report is a synopsis of statewide crime statistics gathered from law enforcement agencies across Idaho and includes such things as the Statewide Crime Profile, Crimes against Persons, Property, Society, the Arrest Profile, Hate Crime in Idaho, Law Enforcement Officers Killed or Assaulted, crimes categorized by jurisdiction and many other statistics.
Highlights from the "Facts at a Glance" page and the changes from those categories from 2016 include:
- Crimes Against Persons, Crimes Against Property, Crimes Against Society are classified as Group "A" Offenses, have increased 5.4% from 2015.
- The crime rate in Idaho is 5,034.9 per 100,000 inhabitants. This statistic is based on Group "A" Offenses and has increased .07% from 2015.
- The number of Violent Crimes has increased 1.0% from 2015 with 3,712 violent crime offenses reported to law enforcement.
- Crimes Against Persons were up 3.7% with 17,876 reported crimes. Eighteen and a half percent (18.5%) of victims of violent crimes were under 18 years of age and 52.6% were committed against females. The most frequent month of crime occurrence was August and the least frequent was January.
- In 2016, no law enforcement officers were killed in the line of duty in Idaho. Additionally, the number of assaults against law enforcement officers was up 2.7% from 2015, with a total of 338 assaults on officers.
- Hate Crimes were up 27.3% from 2015 with 28 reported hate crimes.
- Crimes Against Society increased by 14.6% from 2015 with 22,775 crimes reported. Drug/Narcotic Violations and Drug Equipment Violations accounted for 94.7% of Crimes Against Society, which has seen an increase of 15.7% from 2015.
- Crimes Against Property increased by 1.9% with 44,438 reported crimes. Larceny/Theft Offenses accounted for 48.3% of the Crimes Against Property.
The full report is available for review or download on the Idaho State Police website.